Magic Cabin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Never Forget... Johnny Depp is Sweeney Todd

I will gladly admit that I'm a Johnny Depp fan. Like, totally. I remember the old days of sitting, staring at the television the second I heard the 21 Jump Street theme song playing. And as everyone knows, Depp has only gotten better with age.

One of my #1 favorite movies of all time (not just my favorite Depp movie) is... Blow. Who knew this shy, quiet stay at home mom was a fan of the underground drug ring? Well anyway... My favorite scene in Blow is when Depp goes to hide out at visit his parents and he's talking to his dad about the life he's been leading and all the trouble he's in. You can see a glimpse of the sad little boy he used to be and the longing he still has for his parents' approval. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the bad boy with a sensitive side (the Byronic Hero, the voice of my 11th grade English teacher reminds me). And then the pain in his eyes later when he has to face his daughter after being in prison for so many years brought tears to my own.

I also enjoyed him as a private in Platoon, as Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow, and Raoul Duke in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, among others.

And of course I am a huge fan of Depp's more recent performances as Cap'n Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. The moment I saw Curse of the Black Pearl I was crying for the sequel. Although I didn't enjoy the third one as much, I was still in awe over Depp's stealy performance and his rogue-ish good looks. For some reason, the combination of eyeliner smudged just so, long flowing dreadlocks, and again, that bad boy persona send me to the moon. And of course, being the romantic I am, I love the tension between Jack and Kiera Knightly's character Elizabeth Swann. But it's the fighting scenes I like the most. Especially the scene toward the end of Black Pearl when Jack fights and wins over the cursed Barbossa by shooting him in the chest, finally granting Barbossa his one true wish, to "feel." You know Jack only did it to save Elizabeth. I think he likes her. Of the two scenes, I suppose this one is my favorite, maybe just because I take a liking to pirates.

Once again, Johnny Depp has teamed up with Tim Burton to make a film version of the musical Sweeney Todd which comes out in theaters this Friday (12/21). Depp plays a barber out for revenge after being wrongfully convicted of a crime and sent to prison. To see the trailer, visit the official Sweeney Todd movie site or if you're a MySpace dweller and want to add a customized Sweeney skin to your page or try to win some cool prizes, visit Sweeney Todd on MySpace.

Hey, Johnny, the 80's called and they absolutely, positively cannot have you back.



No comments:

 
Forum