Magic Cabin

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Suite Valentine: Hotel Icon

Who: Hotel ICON

What: For those who appreciate the charm of historic architecture, this one's a flip gone wild. Hotel ICON is the $35 million historic reinvention of the former Union National Bank building, a landmark structure built in 1911 on Downtown Houston's bustling Main Street. The massive bank vault doors behind the front desk serve as a stately reminder of the hotel's rich history.

When: anytime is the right time

Where: www.hotelicon.com | 220 Main | Houston 77002

Why:
Hubby took me on an early Valentine's getaway. Our Deluxe accommodations featured 378 square feet of pure elegance and romance as well as a breathtaking skyline view, cushy king-sized bed, and spacious walk-in rain shower. From the gracious concierge to the rich gothic swags, I felt as though I had been whisked miles away from my so-called life into a world of elegance and luxury like I have never experienced.

What about the kids: I left mine with grandma so I can't say how kid-friendly it is, though probably about average. I did read that they have bonded babysitters available. But the place is soooo romantic, you and your honey will probably want to be kid-free.

What about the environment:
While the shower heads seemed to be low-flow enough, I'm not sure they were intended to be that way. To add a touch of green, I suggest that they first hook up with the Green Hotel Initiative then consider switching over to energy-efficient light bulbs, installing motion-sensors for the lighting (I'll admit, we left our lights and TV on the entire time we were out that night), offering green laundry and dry-cleaning service, and using organic bed linens and bath supplies.

What else:
You can quickly get to the nearby Museum District using Houston's easy METRORail service just steps away. Or, for a trip to the Theatre District or anywhere else Downtown, use the hotel's complimentary car service.

What now: Go book your own romantic interlude at Hotel ICON right away!

No comments:

 
Forum